[OFFICIAL] Jane Byrne Interchange construction update
Spring will bring increased construction and, continuing over the next twelve months, many detours and traffic modifications will be required in the vicinity of UIC. Expect significant delays driving to and from UIC and the east side of campus.
Construction of the “flyover” that will connect the inbound Dan Ryan expressway with the outbound Eisenhower expressway begins March 7 and is detailed below. Below that are the projected completion dates for the Halsted, Peoria and Harrison bridges. Also, water-main work in Harrison Field (at the corner of Halsted and Harrison) will begin as soon as the city approves. Plans are being developed to accommodate students loading cars during residence hall move-out.
During construction of the interchange flyover, existing expressway ramps will be closed and lanes will be reduced:
• The ramp from the inbound Dan Ryan expressway (I-90/94) to the outbound Eisenhower expressway (I-290) will remain open but shift to a temporary roadway.
• The ramp from the inbound Dan Ryan to inbound Congress will be closed. Traffic will detour from Roosevelt Road to Jefferson to Harrison to Wells.
• The ramp from Roosevelt to Congress will be closed, and traffic will follow the Jefferson/Harrison/Wells detour. Traffic for the outbound Eisenhower will detour from Roosevelt west to Ashland and north to Van Buren.
• The ramp from Taylor Street to the inbound Dan Ryan will be closed. Traffic will detour north on Jefferson to Adams.
• The right lane of the inbound Dan Ryan will be closed from the Stevenson expressway (I-55) to Roosevelt.
• The inbound and outbound Stevenson ramps to the Dan Ryan will be reduced from two lanes to one.
• Four weekends this summer or fall will see a near-total shutdown of the entire interchange while beams for the flyover are installed. During those weekends, all lanes of the Eisenhower and Congress will be shut down, and an almost two-mile section of the Dan Ryan will be reduced to one lane in each direction. IDOT has not yet determined the four weekends for shutdown.
• The flyover is scheduled for completion in July 2016.
Bridge Project schedule updates
• The Harrison Street Bridge over the Dan Ryan is scheduled to be completed by late fall.
• The Peoria Street Bridge/Pedestrian Walkway over the Eisenhower and the CTA Blue Line Station are scheduled to be completed in August.
• The lane switchover for the Halsted Street Bridge over the Dan Ryan is scheduled for June 1. Final completion of the Halsted bridge is scheduled for late fall.
Please be alert for changes and always exercise caution when walking or driving through work zones.
Executive Associate Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services